× Richieste di aiuto nelle ricerche

My great grandfather - Agostino Castelli - 226th Infantry Regiment

20/04/2016 03:17 #1 da Meredith Gregory
hello! i am american and translating through google. my great grandfather was a prisoner of war and i found his record on your sight. i hope you can tell me what the osp in front of a word means. your maps have the only mention of this. thank you.

Prigionia CASTELLI AGOSTINO MICHELE 31-10-1913 TERMINI IMERESE Palermo C.le 226 RGT. FTR. 22-02-1945 OSP. 5919 - IURKOVKA

Accedi o Crea un account per partecipare alla conversazione.

20/04/2016 08:51 #2 da CASTIGLIONI
OSP of hospital abbreviation, or Jurkovka Yurkovka, юРковка in Russian, I do not know in what region of Russia are, others will help you.
Kind Regards

Marco
Ringraziano per il messaggio: Patrizia Marchesini

20/04/2016 18:54 - 20/04/2016 20:13 #3 da Patrizia Marchesini
Dear Meredith,

I have just created a new topic about your great grandfather, Agostino Castelli, and I've moved here your comment... and the following reply.

First of all, I beg your pardon for my English. I am not used to talk about Russian Campaign or Second World War in your language...

The 226th Infantry Regiment was part of 53th Infantry Division , which was deployed on the Greek-Albanian Front (not on the Eastern Front).

After the 8th of September 1943, Italy and Germany suddenly became enemies, because of the Armistice which had been signed on September the 3rd between Italy and the Allied Force (how exhausting and difficult is trying to explain those events in English...).
I simplify it at the most...
Italy was parted into two: in the North there were German troops and the Republic of Salò (with Benito Mussolini and those ones who chose to remain loyal to the Italian dictator); in the South there were Allied troops, the king of Italy and the new Government.
The Nazis deported about 600.000 Italian soldiers, especially those ones who were in the Balkans.

And I think that your great grandfather was among those 600.000 men.

Months went by and in the meantime the Soviet Red Army was gradually approaching toward Berlin.
While advancing, the Soviets reached the camps where Italian soldiers were spending their imprisonment.
The Soviets - especially in 1944 - deported a considerable number of Italian soldiers to East.
I mean that those Italian soldiers were deported a second time (firstly by the Nazis and then by the Soviet Red Army), and more than a thousand died in Soviet camps.

The lager-hospital 5919 was in Ukraine.

In Jurkovka about one hundred of Italian soldier - who were before in the Nazis camps - died.
Sadly, my opinion is that Agostino faced that fate...

The Italian Ministry of Defence reports that your great grandfather was buried in the military cemetery of Lidiyevka.

But I am not able to give you more details.
Please, try to contact - if you want - the office of Commissariato Generale per le Onoranze ai Caduti (it is under the Ministry of Defence). This is the e-mail address: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo..

Yours sincerely.

Patrizia
Allegati:
Ringraziano per il messaggio: Meredith Gregory

Moderatori: Maurizio ComunelloPatrizia Marchesini

Usiamo i cookies per migliorare il nostro sito e la vostra esperienza nell'utilizzarlo. I cookies usati per le operazioni essenziali sono già stati impostati. Per ulteriori informazioni sui cookies che utilizziamo e su come cancellarli, leggete la nostra privacy policy.

Accettate i cookies da questo sito?